15 guests at Ross Bridge Resort sent to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
A spokesman with the Hoover Fire Department reports 15 guests at Renaissance Ross Bridge Golf Resort were taken to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning Friday morning.
Spokesman Rusty Lowe says the fifth and sixth floors of the hotel were evacuated after rescue units were called to the scene at around 6:30 a.m. to treat guests staying on those floors experiencing flu-like symptoms, including a young child that appeared to be disoriented.
Hoover Fire investigators believe a faulty heating system caused carbon monoxide to leak through the ventilation system causing several guests to become ill.
Lowe has told ABC 33/40 reporter Sarah Snyder that all 15 guests are expected to make a full recovery. 11 are being treated at Birmingham-area hospitals while four others are recovering at hospitals in Florida.
Both floors have since been reopened and the facility is back to normal operations.
We will continue to follow this story and provide updates as more information is made available.
Updated at 8:10 p.m. to report the conditions of the guests.