Jefferson County man, 42, charged in Sunday's wild standoff with deputies, accused of hiding behind mom

Mark Bryon McAvoy

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. -- A 42-year-old man has been charged in Sunday's standoff with Jefferson County sheriff's deputies in which he hid behind his elderly mother, who he was holding hostage at gunpoint, authorities said.

Mark Bryon McAvoy is currently behind bars, charged with kidnapping, assault, making a terrorist threat, unlawful imprisonment and resisting arrest in connection with a domestic violence incident turned standoff Sunday night.

According to the sheriff's office, deputies responded to a home in the 6800 block of Garrett Drive just before 6:30 p.m. and arrived to find a concerned neighbor, who told them that a bloody-handed McAvoy had just revealed that he had killed his mother then returned to his residence, where he remained barricaded inside.

A short time later and after learning that the suspect's mother was still alive and being held hostage, Gardendale police arrived at the scene to assist deputies. Officers began communicating with McAvoy through a window and were told by the suspect that he was armed and would shoot anyone who attempted to enter the home.

A sheriff's sergeant then began speaking to McAvoy through the window and managed to calm the suspect down, later convincing the man to release his mother in exchange for a pack of cigarettes. Upon receiving the smokes, McAvoy reportedly became irate again and decided against letting his mom go free.

"You will have to kill me, but I will kill my mother first," McAvoy reportedly said to authorities before informing them that he possessed two hand grenades and had a pistol to his mom's back.

After hiding behind the elderly woman, using her as a human shield, the man told deputies they would have to "shoot through his mother to get to him," prompting law enforcement to set up a perimeter and request assistance from a SWAT team.

It was later determined that the man wasn't going to exit the home voluntarily and authorities decided to use tear gas to coax McAvoy out. After doing so, the suspect separated from his mother, providing the SWAT team an opportunity to enter the home by force. Upon entry, the suspect fell to the floor and began fighting law enforcement as they handcuffed him.

The suspect's mother was rescued from the home and taken to safety before later being transported to an area hospital for observation.

Once in custody, McAvory was treated by paramedics at the scene then transported to the Jefferson County Jail, where he is being held on bonds totaling $112,000.

There were no reports of injuries in the incident.