Alabama EMA announces FEMA disaster unemployment benefits for victims of tornadoes, flooding

The Alabama Emergency Management Agency said Thursday that victims of the recent tornadoes and flooding may be eligible for disaster unemployment benefits.According to a news release, self-employed individuals and others who lost work during the severe weather outbreak between Apr. 28 and May 2 in Blount, DeKalb, Etowah, Mobile and Tuscaloosa counties have until June 9 to apply for assistance from FEMA. Those who live or work in Baldwin, Jefferson, Lee or Limestone counties have until June 3 to apply.If you believe you qualify for DUR, visit to apply. You can also apply by calling 1-866-234-5382. Applications over the phone can be made Monday through Friday between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. DUR Fact Sheet via FEMA:

General Requirements

To be eligible for DUA, individuals must:

Not be eligible for regular UI;

Be unemployed as a direct result of the disaster;

Be able and available for work, unless injured as a direct result of the disaster (see conditions below);

File an application for DUA within 30 days of the date of the announcement of availability of DUA; and,

Have not refused an offer of employment in a suitable position.

Conditions of Employment

One of the following conditions of unemployment or inability to perform services in self-employment must have occurred as a direct result of the disaster:

The individual has had a week of unemployment following the date the major disaster began; The individual is unable to reach his/her place of employment;

The individual was scheduled to start work and the job no longer exists or the individual was unable to reach the job;

The individual is unable to reach his/her place of employment;

The individual became the major support of the household because the head of the household died as a direct result of the disaster;

The individual cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the major disaster; or

The individual lost a majority of income or revenue because the employer or self-employed business was damaged, destroyed, or closed by the federal government.

Note: Suffering a monetary loss due to damage of property or crops does not automatically entitle an individual to DUA. Applicants must follow the instructions in the announcement and file for DUA based on the filing method used by the State (i.e., in-person, mail, telephone, or internet).

To see details on rules and requirements, click here.