Birmingham firefighters battle smoke inhalation, heat exhaustion at vacant house fire

      Birmingham Fire and Rescue on the scene of a house fire on Tuesday. (

      Birmingham Fire and Rescue continue to monitor a vacant house fire that spread to an adjacent home in east Birmingham.

      Firefighters were working a separate house fire when they noticed flames at a vacant home in the 900 block of 52nd Place North at around 11 a.m. today. The flames spread to another vacant house and an occupied home. The fires have since been extinguished.

      Two of the responding firefighters experienced difficulty breathing due to smoke inhalation and were transported to the hospital. Another rescue worker was seen being treated at the scene for possible heat exhaustion.

      Investigators took a juvenile into custody at the location for questioning regarding the fires in the area.