Fire under investigation in Ensley

Firefighters say cold weather means more fires.

Birmingham Fire and Rescue crews battled a house fire on Court P in Ensley Monday night. The blaze started in the crawl space under the home. A firefighter fell about two feet into that space while putting out the fire, but that firefighter was not hurt.

Capt. Harold Watson says the cause of the fire is unknown, but he wants to warn residents about the dangers of the use of space heaters.

Be sure to keep space heaters away from children, pets, combustible materials, blankets and curtains. Do not use an extension cord, plug the heater directly into the wall. Also, keep the heater in a space with less foot traffic.