Grease fire causes heavy damage to home in Northport

Thick smoke billows from a house fire in the 2300 block of Deer Haven Drive in Northport, Tuesday, January 14, 2013. (Northport Fire and Rescue Photo)

A Northport home sustained significant damage after a grease fire broke out Tuesday afternoon, fire officials said.

Northport Fire and Rescue crews were called to a home in the 2300 block of Deer Haven Drive around 1:32 p.m. and arrived to find a "well-involved" fire at the location. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze within minutes of their arrival and the three occupants inside when the fire began escaped unharmed.

"Crews made an aggressive interior attack and brought the fire under control in a matter of minutes," Northport Fire and Rescue Captain Jason Norris said in a release.

A preliminary investigation shows the fire was accidental and started after one of the residents left food cooking in grease on the stovetop unattended. Shortly after doing some laundry, the occupant returned to find the kitchen on fire.

No one was injured in the incident.

Click image to enlarge. Shown is the Northport home heavily damaged in a grease fire, Tuesday, January 14, 2014. (