How to transfer students out of 'failing' schools

Thousands of families will soon learn if their children are eligible to transfer to a different school this fall. Parents who have children in 29 Central Alabama schools should receive letters.

Schools deemed failing under the Alabama Accountability Act will mail out those letters by July 19.

Parents who receive them and want to transfer their children to another school must go to the current school and pick up a form. The Alabama Department of Education says that form is to be signed by the new school and returned to the failing school in order to transfer school records.

The procedures were approved by the state board of education earlier this week.