76
      Monday
      93 / 75
      Tuesday
      93 / 74
      Wednesday
      92 / 74

      Jefferson County EMA talks about mercury spill at McAdory Middle School

      McAdory Middle School (abc3340.com)

      A mercury spill at a Jefferson County Middle School caused some alarm Wednesday. A McAdory Middle School student broke a vial in the school gym that appeared to be from a thermostat.

      Principal James McLeod says there is no danger and no one became sick from this exposure. He says the building is completely safe and school will continue as normal Thursday.

      Bob Ammons with the Jefferson County Emergency Management Agency says there was less than an ounce of mercury detected. He says the Alabama Department of Environmental Management tested the gym, two classrooms, the principal's office, nurses office, a conference room, a hall and a school bus and all areas are safe.

      The principal says a 7th grade student found the vial at a bus stop and four students were{}reportedly playing with it in the gym{}when it broke. The gym and two classrooms were evacuated and parents were called. The students exposed also received a change of clothes. Ammons says the school did a great job cleaning up the area before authorities started investigating.

      "The faculty cleaned it up, the fire department responded and at that time they in turn notified Emergency Management Agency and I notified ADEM, Jefferson County Health Department and also state EMA about the spill and clean-up activity."

      Ammons says mercury levels were well below the minimum requirement of concern.

      component-story-more_media_horiz-v1-01
      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER