Man rescued from burning house in Birmingham

Birmingham Police officers helped get a man out of a burning house Saturday afternoon.

Fire crews got the call around 2:30 that a house on Avenue O was on fire. Just the front portion of the house caught on fire and firefighters put the flames out quickly.

The battalion chief says it appears the man was cooking and fell asleep. He had no working smoke detectors. The man was transported to UAB hospital after suffering smoke inhalation.Just down the road.. Birmingham firefighters were also putting out a house fire on Avenue R in Ensley. The Battalion Chief says the house was vacant. No word yet on how that fire started. It's under investigation.