TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- A natural gas leak that forced the evacuation of three buildings on the University of Alabama campus Tuesday morning has been repaired, the school said in a release.
The gas leak happened around 8:30 a.m. when a construction contractor accidentally hit a gas line near Rodgers Library. First responders evacuated the library and two other buildings closest to the leak -- the South Engineering Research Center and the Science and Engineering Complex -- as a precautionary measure. According to the school, the rest of the campus was not impacted, though, officials warned students and faculty via email and social media to stay away from the affected area and buildings, where class was temporarily suspended.
The University of Alabama Police Department and the Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue Department assisted at the scene as Alagasco crews repaired the gas leak.
No one was injured in the incident and no damage was reported at any of the facilities, which were reopened at 10 a.m.. Classes resumed at the campus buildings at 11 a.m.