According to Dave Miller of the National Football Post, Auburn should consider hiring current Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini if they choose to fire Gene Chizik at season's end.
Last week, Auburn president Jay Gogue reportedly told Board of Trustee members that he is preparing to possibly fire Chizik, and will form a search committee to find the next football coach.
Miller writes in his article that one Big 10 observer informed him that Pelini is seeking a bigger job, and is open to returning to the SEC if the right opportunity presents itself.
"This past summer I talked to a veteran Big Ten observer who believes that Pelini desires a bigger job and would strongly consider a return to the SEC given the right situation. While it is unknown if either party would be interested if there is an opening on The Plains, Gogue should strongly consider reaching out to Pelini, who is 47-18 overall in Lincoln and 27-11 in conference play (Big 12 and Big Ten)." Miller said.
Pelini's coaching experience:
- 2008-present, Nebraska Head Coach
- 2005-07, LSU Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator)
- 2004, Oklahoma Assistant Coach (Co-Defensive Coord./Defensive Backs)
- December 2003, Nebraska Interim Head Coach (for Alamo Bowl)
- 2003, Nebraska Assistant Coach (Defensive Coordinator)
- 2000-02, Green Bay Packers Assistant Coach (Linebackers)
- 1997-99, New England Patriots Assistant Coach (Linebackers)
- 1994-96, San Francisco 49ers Assistant Coach (Assistant Secondary)
- 1993, Cardinal Mooney (Ohio) High School Assistant Coach (Quarterbacks)
- 1991, Iowa Graduate Assistant