Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson for Food Network Magazine
- 1/4 cup plus 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 pre made angel food cake, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy cream, at room temperature
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
Heat 1/4 cup sugar, the lemonjuice and 1/4 cup water in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring, untilthe sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract.
Brush both sides of each slice of cake with thesyrup. Cut the slices into 1-inch cubes.
Arrange half of the cake cubes in the bottom of a13-cup trifle dish. Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries. Dollop half ofthe cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread. Top with a layer ofstrawberries. Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then sprinkle with moreblueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remainingstrawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a decorativepattern. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.