Report: Victim assaulted by Alabama football players recounts incident

© Freshman Alabama football player Eddie Williams, shown above celebrating the Crimson Tide's BCS National Championship in Miami on January 7, reportedly admitted to the attack on Samuel Jurgens after his arrest early Tuesday Morning. (

A University of Alabama student allegedly assaulted and robbed on campus by football players recently spoke to a reporter with the school's newspaper about the incident that left him bloodied and with a mild concussion.

Samuel Jurgens told the Crimson White that he was walking from Blount Hall, where he had been hanging out with friends Monday night, to his residence on Hackberry Lane when someone, believed to be freshman defensive back Eddie Williams, approached him, asking for a lighter. Jurgens told the person that he did not have a lighter and continued walking home.{}{}

"That's when I guess something happened," Jurgens told reporter Melissa Brown. "I woke up, my face was swollen, I had cuts, and I had a concussion. Police say that's probably when they hit me; I just know right after that I lost consciousness and I regained consciousness on the sidewalk, staring at the sky."

Immediately following the assault, Jurgens, dazed and confused, called a friend, Chris Burks, for help as he struggled to make his way back to Blount Hall. Burks said in an interview Tuesday night that his friend sounded "delirious" on the phone and found him "completely drenched in blood" when he finally met him at the front door of the dormitory.

"The jacket he was wearing and his headphones were completely drenched in blood, the bottom half of his face was completely covered in blood; he was bleeding badly from his lip. He had clearly been badly beaten." Burks told the Crimson White.

Jurgens had been carrying a bookbag holding his Apple MacBook Pro, books and clothes before being knocked out, but it was nowhere to be found after he woke up from the attack.

Former five-star recruit Williams and two other football players, D.J. Pettway and Tyler Hayes, were arrested Tuesday morning in connection to the assault and robbery of Jurgens. All three players were charged with two counts of second-degree robbery.

Williams, who was also charged with fraudulent use of a credit card, reportedly admitted to the attack following his arrest.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban released a statement Tuesday informing the media that the players arrested had been indefinitely suspended from the team.

"The young men charged are indefinitely suspended as we continue to gather information and talk to the appropriate people. The University and football program have strict guidelines regarding issues of this magnitude. This behavior is unacceptable for any student-athlete at the University of Alabama and not representative of our football program." Saban said in the released statement.

The arrest of Williams on Tuesday came just two days after being taken to jail for carrying a pistol without a license. A fourth player, redshirt sophomore Brent Calloway, was also arrested in connection to the case, charged with fraudulent use of a credit card for allegedly buying snacks with a robbery victim's stolen Action Card.