Same-Sex couples could be forced to file additional tax returns


The pictures of Joe Openshaw and his husband Bobby Prince show a happy couple after the two were married. {}The couple had two ceremonies. {}One in Alabama and another in Washington, D.C. where their union is legal.{}Now, months after their ceremony, they're faced with a new challenge of filing their taxes in a state that doesn't recognize their marriage.{}"We're are required by the federal government or by the IRS to file as a married couple either filing married jointly or filing married singly but still its a requirement that you file married," said Openshaw. {}"By the state government, we're required to file as a single person because our marriage is not recognized. "The couple could be forced to prepare 5 tax returns; one federally as a married couple, two individual federal returns, and two state returns.{}"They are treating my marriage that was legally performed in another state differently from my brother's marriage to a woman that was legally performed in another state," said Openshaw.Susan Watterson, a Hoover based attorney, is helping Prince and Openshaw prepare their tax returns. {}She says there is little same-sex couples can do to get around the preparation nightmare.{}"Any state that does like recognize same-sex marriage then the situation we must comply with state law as well as the federal law," said Watterson.{}"Even though a certain state might not recognize same-sex marriage, they're trying to make a determination for income tax purposes within that state. Are they willing to allow that couple to file a joint return?" explained to Watterson. {}The difference in filing as a married couple, as opposed to filing separately, could result in thousands of added dollars in tax liability. {}Thus, same-sex couples would have to shell out more money to Uncle Sam.{}