Unattended candle to blame for house fire
NORTHPORT - AL —
Firefighters in Northport say an unattended candle started a house fire earlier this week.
A man escaped out of the burning house in Huntington Street Monday. Investigators say the fire started in a bedroom, then quickly spread to the rest of the house. Firefighters issued a warning about candle safety.
They say December is a peak time of the year for home candle fires. Roughly one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom and more than half of all candle fire start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Firefighters are warning homeowners to use candle that are sturdy and won't tip easily. Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface. Light candles carefully. Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home. Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid using candles in the bedroom or other areas where people sleep. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burn.