Recipe Sept 20: Pasta Pie
Ingredients4 oz uncooked angel hair (capellini) pasta 18 to 25 slices baguette or French bread, about 1/4 inch thick 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (3 oz) 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves 1 container (10 oz) refrigerated Alfredo pasta sauce 3 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped 2 medium green onions, sliced (2 tablespoons) 1 tablespoon grated Romano or Parmesan cheese Directions
- 1 Heat oven to 400F. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- 2 Meanwhile, brush bread with butter. In 9-inch glass pie plate, line bottom and side with bread, butter sides up and slightly overlapping slices. Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- 3 Meanwhile, in large bowl, mix Swiss cheese, 1 tablespoon of the basil and the Alfredo sauce.
- 4 Reduce oven temperature to 350F. Add pasta to sauce mixture; toss to mix thoroughly. Spoon into baked crust. Sprinkle with tomatoes, onions and Romano cheese.
- 5 Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon basil.