South Alabama police: 'We prevented a possible mass shooting' at Bass Pro Shops
Robert Smith Jr. was booked in the Baldwin County Jail without bond for allegedly firing at least 50 shots at Bass Pro Shops in Spanish Fort, Alabama on Saturday, September 5th, 2020. He is charged with assault second degree, discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling or vehicle, reckless endangerment, and resisting arrest. (Photo: Baldwin County Jail){br}

SPANISH FORT, Ala. (WPMI) — We’re uncovering more of what police say could have been a mass shooting Saturday at Bass Pro Shops in Spanish Fort.

Employees and customers were running for cover as a gunman opened fire.

Spanish Fort Police Chief John Barber says 38-year-old Robert Smith was tased and taken into custody following Saturday’s shooting.

RELATED: Family of alleged Bass Pro Shop shooter 'in shock' and 'searching for answers'

I definitely believe that our officers prevented what would have been a mass shooting incident. When they encountered Robert Smith, he had a bulletproof vest on. From the pictures I've seen, he had several weapons. He had three AR rifle platforms, one AR pistol, a 9 mm short rifle, a shotgun, and two pistols with several hundred rounds of ammunition for all the weapons, 

said Barber.

Barber says these weapons were recovered at the scene.

Earlier Saturday, when that emergency call came in, officers raced to the outdoor retail store.

Bass Pro Shops employee Davis Marrero says employees saw the alleged gunman using two different weapons.

He was shooting two kinds of rifles: an AR-15 and what I’m told was an AR-10, which is also a .308 which is a more powerful round. He didn’t hit anything on top, but he shot through a window right here in the marine area. Luckily one of the guys who works in that area closed the door before he could get inside,

Marrero said.

RELATED: Suspect identified in Spanish Fort Bass Pro Shops shooting incident

He went to the side of the Bass Pro Shops. I don't know if he made a mistake and just didn't go to the main entrance," Barber said. "My understanding is once they (the employees) realized what they were dealing with, they locked the doors. They made sure everything was shut.

Eyewitnesses and police investigators say the alleged gunman wasn’t alone.

There was a female that was with him yesterday. We interviewed her. At this point, she has been released. She has not been arrested for anything at this point in the investigation, 

Barber said.

Chief Barber said this investigation is ongoing and Smith faces a number of charges including resisting arrest, reckless endangerment, discharging a firearm into an occupied building, and assault 2nd degree related to injuring an officer while being taken into custody.

Barber also said 10 additional guns and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition were recovered at Smith's home on Monday.

Police have not yet said what they believe was Smith's motive, as their investigation continues.

View This Story on Our Site