Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes ofwebsite accessibilityConstruction workers critically injured in accident at Bryant-Denny Stadium | WBMA
Close Alert

Construction workers critically injured in accident at Bryant-Denny Stadium

(Source: Tuscaloosa Fire-Rescue)
(Source: Tuscaloosa Fire-Rescue)
Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

Two construction workers were trapped after a construction accident at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday evening, according to Tuscaloosa Fire-Rescue.

The two men were trapped after two concrete beams fell and collided with a man lift being operated by the workers.

Fire-Rescue said in a tweet that both men were transported to DCH Hospital for treatment.

Two structural precast concrete beams collapsed onto their manlift trapping them inside.

It's believed that one of the workers is paralyzed and the other has sustained massive head trauma. Both have multiple lacerations all over their bodies and heads and are in critical condition at this time, according to a construction company employee with knowledge of the situation, who spoke to ABC 33/40 on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak with the media.

It appears that the beams we not properly supported during installation, and the welds broke but the investigation is on going, according to the source.

OSHA is on site and the job site is currently shutdown until further notice.

According to University of Alabama spokeswoman Monica Watts, "Two workers with a subcontractor were transported to the hospital by emergency responders. Our thoughts and prayers are with them at this time."

President of Gate Construction Materials Group Dean Gwin said in a statement to ABC 33/40, "We are looking into the cause of the accident and our thoughts and prayers are with the two men injured and their families. Senior level staff for both the precast installation company and Gate Precast arrived on site this morning."

Comment bubble

Wallace Wade Avenue and 8th Street at 11th Avenue near the stadium have been closed until further notice as a precaution.

Loading ...