Dryer fire causes overnight evacuation of UAB's Spain Rehab Center

Birmingham Fire-Rescue respond Thursday morning to a fire at UAB's Spain Rehabilitation Center. (Alan Baker | abc3340.com)

A small dryer fire forced patients at UAB's Spain Rehabilitation Center to be evacuated early Thursday morning.

The fire was reported before 4:00 a.m. on the fifth floor of the building. Birmingham Fire-Rescue says the flames were put out by the building's sprinkler system before they arrived.

Patients covered in blankets waited outside the building for approximately 30 minutes according Birmingham Fire-Rescue.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off