Jefferson County Sheriff's Office warns of holiday scammers online
JEFFERSON COUNTY, Ala. —
The holiday season always sees people searching for that 'perfect gift' for their friends or family.
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office says that, unfortunately, scammer know this and will use it against shoppers. So, instead of running the risk of being taken advantage of by a Grinch, the sheriff's office is offering a few tips for your gift-buying.
- Never extend payment to anyone you have not met in person
- Beware of offers involving shipping- deal with locals you can meet in person
- Never wire money- anyone who asks you to is likely a scammer
- Do not accept cashier/certified checks or money orders- banks cash fakes and hold you responsible
- Never give out personal or financial info
- Do not rent or purchase sight-unseen- that amazing “deal” may not exist
When your sale is ready to go, be sure to stay!
- Meet in a public place, preferably one with cameras and people around
- Do not go to the meeting place alone. Take a trusted friend.
- Meet at a normal time. Meeting at 3:00 am to buy an item is not a good idea
- Only take the amount of money needed to complete the purchase.