MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

New school year, no home for Birmingham family after fire

22 displaced after fire at Devonshire Apartments

Jamie Trannon clutches a photo of her late mother – one of few belongings she says survived Wednesday night’s fire. A blaze the could have been deadly.

“I looked in the kitchen and all I seen was a big flame and it was coming from the stove,” says Trannon. “I just started grabbing babies…she’s coming down the steps with all her kids.

Trannon is among 22 residents of the Devonshire Apartments now displaced after a fire spread to multiple units about 10:30 Wednesday night. Neighbors say Jamie Trannon’s fast action during Wednesday nights fire saved lives. Before banging on neighbors’ doors, Trannon first rushed her five children and her 64 year old disabled father from their burning unit.

Right now, residents displaced from the fire are working to regroup. For Trannon, that means an unexpected challenge just three days into the school year.

“I mean I bought school clothes, shoes, supplies…everything.”

Those things are now gone. Trannon and other residents work to move forward.

“You have no other choice, you try to stay strong for your kids,” says Trannon. “But, when things happen like this unexpectedly, you don’t have nowhere to turn. All you do is thank God. Everybody got out. And, we’re good.”

The American Red Cross has provided vouchers, assisting them with living necessities while they regroup. Birmingham Fire officials say the blaze began in the kitchen of one of the units.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending